Saturday, December 31, 2011

one year ago

One year ago I said yes to spending the rest of my life with my best friend. Here's the story...

On Christmas eve, Chris and I went ring shopping, and we ended up picking out and ordering something we really, really liked. At this point I bowed out. Chris wanted to plan the proposal and do the rest himself, which was perfectly okay with me. The jeweler told us it would be a couple of weeks and that he'd be in touch with Chris.

So during breakfast on New Years Eve, Chris got a phone call saying that our ring was ready to be picked up. 
Sneakily, Chris went to the jewelry store to "make a down payment," or so he told me. In actuality, he picked up the ring.

Meanwhile, I was totally and completely oblivious and suspected nothing out of the ordinary.

So around 2 a.m. on the first of the year, after everyone went to bed, (I still consider this New Years Eve) Chris brought to my attention the fact that my mom had left the Christmas tree lights plugged in. We went to the tree in our pajamas and Chris found a present the size of a shoe box addressed to him from Rachael, my sister. He asked me if I knew what it could be. I honestly had no clue! So Chris called to Rachael's room and asked if he could open it. She told him he could. I sat down on the ottoman in the living room near the tree, and Chris kneeled (on one knee!) to open the present. I was still completely and totally oblivious, and just as curious as Chris seemed to find out what Rachael had given him. So out of the box Chris pulls a smaller box, pops it open, and shows me a beautiful ring! And with a cute little smile, he said, "Sarah, will you marry me?" And even though I had no idea how he had gotten the ring so quickly, I excitedly said, "YES!"
So we hugged and kissed and celebrated, and then my family, who hadn't really gone to bed at all, joined us. It was wonderful and special and perfect!

We feel so blessed and have had an amazing 2011. We are excited to see what 2012 has in store for us!

Did anything amazingly exciting happen to you this past year?

1 comment:

  1. Hey...It's Natalie! (Katie's sister) I just now read this is and it is so sweet! I've heard it before but enjoy reading it again. Hope you two have had a great year! Wish I could have been there when you visited my family :)
    SO you asked if anything exciting happened this year....well here is what I posted on my Facebook about the past year :)

    "January 1, 2011.

    It was going to be a great year…I just knew it!

    A lot of fun was had, memories made and blessings poured out, but it was also a year of firsts for me….

    I completed a 7k, caught the bouquet at a friend’s wedding, got my first kiss, saw Owl City in concert, made the decision to quit my job and take a chance on a new career and go back to school, found out I was going to be an aunt, won a trip to Vegas in Feb. (which I will be flying commercially for the first time lol) and went bowling. It may not seem like much, but it’s the little things in life that can have the biggest impact….at least for me anyway. With all these new changes, 2012 is going to be amazing! I’ll have a new niece, as well as other good friend having babies for the first time, fly to Vegas, graduate from cosmetology school, pass the state board, get an amazing new job, move to Nashville, plus whatever else decides to come my way! Wow, I can’t wait! Thank you Lord for another year…and fresh starts."

    ReplyDelete