Thursday, December 15, 2011

raising cain

Last night my husband and I watched an excellent documentary called Raising Cain, which discusses the psychology of how boys grow up, the societal pressures they face, and how to better understand them as they morph into men. It disproved many myths our society passes around about the “normal” and “right” behavior and feelings men should experience. As someone who finds gender differences and psychology fascinating, I happily agreed to watch the documentary with my husband, who will soon be graduating with a degree in school counseling, when he brought it home from the library.  By the end of the two-hour program I found myself caring about the many boys we met throughout the program and becoming more and more interested in learning how, if one day we are blessed with a son, to raise a healthy boy and usher him safely into manhood.