Saturday, February 18, 2012

it's more than being shy



I am an introvert. I have known this for a very long time. As an introvert, I often reflect on situations and ideas, think thoroughly before speaking, avoid large groups and social situations (they exhaust me), enjoy one-on-one conversations, prefer to work independently, crave alone time to rejuvenate, and hate the idea of "participation points" in school settings.

A recent article in Time profiled the benefits of being an introvert, especially in an America that glorifies extroverts. We live in a society where the loudness of one's voice often gets more attention than the quality of one's work (just tune in to the political debates), a disadvantage for introverted people who do not enjoy the limelight or competition and rivalry. Studies suggest that the majority of Americans are extroverts, and that introverts are very misunderstood.

If you are an introvert, or you want to learn more about introverts, find a copy of Time Magazine and read the article. It is fascinating. There are also some fun profiles of famous introverts and extroverts, including some of America's presidents.

In the meantime, check out Time's quiz to find out if you are an introvert. The more YES answers you get the more introverted you are.

Here are my scores: YES (19) NO (1)

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love these blog hops where we get to find and meet new blog friends? Glad I found you. I'm a new follower and I would love if you stopped by and followed back, so we can stay connected. Lori

    ReplyDelete