Wednesday, February 29, 2012

pillow talk

 

One of the funniest realizations I have had since marrying my husband is that I talk in my sleep—often. Throughout college my dear roommates made me aware of this tendency (sorry, ladies!), but until marriage I did not know quite how talkative I am while slumbering. 

I am one of those lucky people who can fall asleep almost immediately after my head hits the pillow. My husband is not, which is why he often hears me mumbling into my pillow and engages me in conversations I can never remember in the morning. It is only through his retellings that I learn about these strange but wonderful little conversations we share. We have redefined the term pillow talk. 

For example, one night (so I’ve heard), my husband spoke with me for awhile, asking me questions until, with brows furrowed, I realized that I in fact was not waiting for the red bus to drive up and take me somewhere over the rainbow but actually curled up in bed sleeping. Other nights it is other dreams, and sometimes what I mutter makes sense. Most of the time it does not. 

But my favorite part of this odd nightly habit I have is this:

After every sleepy conversation comes to a close, my husband, before letting me drift into deeper sleep, says, “I love you.” And, according to him, I always reply, “I love you too.” Once I even grinned before rolling over for the night. 

It has become a source of laughter for us. I am always eager to hear about what I muttered the night before. And Chris jokes that my affirmations of “I love you too” comfort him and assure him that I really do. 

And I do. I really, really do, even when I am sleeping deeply a million worlds away. At the risk of sounding really corny, I love him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment