Friday, June 15, 2012

my name should be marian


 
Over the last few weeks I have applied for quite a few new jobs in and around the Martinsburg, WV area. A few of them involve working in libraries, either as a librarian or a library assistant. But most of them fall under the categories of secretarial, admissions, and teaching assistance. I have received one phone call from a university looking to hiring a secretary, and since that conversation I have realized that I want to be a librarian. Although I will work any old job to make some money, at the end of the day I want to be a librarian.

This has been an interesting and surprising and very pleasant realization. I sometimes get caught up in the negative aspects of my job—whiny people, broken rules, etc. But I love helping people find reliable resources, figuring out where a book fits in the wider collection, contributing to the educations of the students by opening up a world of information to them. I like being a librarian. And, if I may say so myself, I think I am growing and evolving into a rather good one. And I want to get better. I want to learn more and stay relevant in my field. I want librarianship to be my career, not just the start of my post-graduate work experience.

So, now I must search for open library positions and pray that I can be the one to fill them.

No comments:

Post a Comment