Monday, July 23, 2012

a list of authors


 

During an interview last week, the library director asked me to discuss the authors I love. 

I blanked. 

Instead of rattling off a list of my favorite authors, I explained that I instead have favorite genres, which include contemporary fiction, literary classics, and nonfiction about faith, especially written by women. I think this was a satisfactory answer. It is, after all, the truth.

But the question got me thinking about all of the authors whose titles I want to read, about the authors who show up on recommendation lists, but whose books I have never or barely read.

So I made a list of authors I want to read.

Here it is…

Ann Patchett
State of Wonder
Bel Canto
The Patron Saint of Liars
The Magician’s Assistant
Run

John Steinbeck
East of Eden
The Grapes of Wrath 

Kathleen Norris
The Cloister Walk
Dakota: A Spiritual Geography
Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith
Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer’s Life 

Barbara Brown Taylor
An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
Seeds of Heaven: Sermons on the Gospel of Matthew

Barbara Kingsolver
The Poisonwood Bible
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Prodigal Summer
The Bean Trees
Pigs in Heaven
Animal Dreams
Small Wonder: Essays

Any author recommendations for a book-lover like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment